- Pose your question to other members.
- Find out what members say about certain stores or products.
- Get members’ suggestions on dealing with your software problems.
- Let members know about the latest and greatest deal you found on a computer product.
BPMUG is now offering a “members only” mailing list. This is an exchange of email among members wishing to communicate through email with other subscribers to the mailing list.
You will fill in the request to join below. In about a day — after your membership in BPMUG has been verified — you will get a welcoming message shortly. That’s it!!
Once you’ve been confirmed, you can send Emails to the list at “firstname.lastname@example.org” and all subscribed members will get your words of wisdom (or words of confusion <grin>); likewise, you will also get theirs. To send email directly to the Listmaster, address them to email@example.com for response. Messages requesting to un-subscribe from the list would also go to the Listmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The basic rules of “Netiquette” (etiquette on the Internet) apply to this list. There are several very good web sites that explain Netiquette when using email, newsgroups, mailing lists, etc. The most important rules are listed below.
- First and foremost: Be VERY careful not to embarrass yourself and others by accidentally posting a private message to the entire list! Lots of red faces have come out of individuals accidentally telling entire groups things that they meant to go privately. Of course sometimes the group enjoys such juicy tidbits at your expense <grin>.
- Never use all capital letters – this is like SHOUTING on the computer.
- Respect others opinions.
- Do not send “test” messages to the list. When you first come on the list, feel free to send a “hello” message telling the list members a bit about yourself and what your interests are (Hello messages may not be welcomed on other lists so be sure to read their guidelines first!).
- Send all requests for un-subscribing or changes to the listmaster at email@example.com. It is not appropriate to send such requests to the entire list.
- Do not preach netiquitte on the mailing list. If you feel compelled to correct someone’s online actions, do so respectfully and privately by email (See “Flamewars” below). However it is preferred that you leave that to the Listmaster.
- BPMUG is not responsible for the content of this mailing list. However, BPMUG’s Listmaster does have the final determination on appropriateness of behavior. If a member decides to exhibit inappropriate on-line behavior, the listmaster has full authority to remove that individual from the list.
- Do not create nor take part in “Flamewars” or personal attacks on the mailing list. Be respectful – avoid inappropriate language.
- Welcome new users to the list. Remember, they will learn how to use the list from your actions.
- Use clear, concise subject lines for email messages. Do not use your reply button unless it is a continuation of the previous topic.
- Avoid replying to a whole group when the information is personal, but keep in mind that a hardware or software problem that one person has, may be similar to or the same as another person’s, and the benefit of the mailing list format is to help everyone learn.
- Do not advertise your product or services on the mailing list. If someone has requested info on a product you offer, either tell them that you have a product that may help if they wish to email you privately, or you can email them privately to tell them about your product. If you are offering a product in response to someone’s request, they may appreciate it — however, you are approaching a breach of Netiquette in advertising, so please use sensitivity if doing so.
- Disclose any ownership or benefit you would get from someone following your advice. Nothing is more suspicious than telling someone that a product is wonderful only to have them discover that you sell that product!
ARE YOU READY?
Are you ready to join other BPMUG members on the Mailing List? Simply complete the below form and submit it for approval! … And Welcome!!